Tämä vuosittain kilpailtava palkinto on kohdennettu nuorista soittajista koostuville jazzyhtyeille trioista big bandeihin.
Viime vuonna voittoshekin kuittasi Manchesterista (UK) oleva 14 -henkinen The Beats & Pieces Big Band .
Kilpailun ilmoittautumisaika loppuu 1.11.2011, jonka jälkeen kilpailun jury valitsee “sokkonkuuntelun” perusteella viisi finalistia, jotka julkistetaan 13.12.2011.
Invitation for the submission of entries to the
4th European Young Artist’s Award Burghausen 2012
On the occasion of the 43rd Burghausen International Jazz Festival from March 13 to 18, 2012, the town‘s jazz association, Interessengemeinschaft Jazz Burghausen e.V. , in cooperation with the town of Burghausen, invites the submission of entriesto the 4th European Young Artists‘ Award Burghausen 2012.
This prize, which is awarded annually, has been created to actively promote promising
young jazz artists.
Combos of three or more musicians and big bands based in Europe. Participants must not be older than 30 years (b. 1982 and after).
All varieties of jazz will be admitted.
The award is endowed with prize money of € 15,000, which consists of a € 5,000 cash prize and € 10,000 in promotions tailored to the respective band‘s requirements, be it the production and distribution of a CD or a made-to-measure promotion or coaching package.
The Interessengemeinschaft Jazz Burghausen e.V. reserves the right to monitor a
project‘s profitability – proof of expenditure is necessary for reimbursement
Selecti on Procedure
• In a „blind selection”
• procedure, the jury will select five formations to compete in the final contest. The names of the five selected formations will be published on Dec. 13, 2011.
• The final contest will take place on the eve of the 43rd International Jazz Festival, March 13, 2012, in the framework of an open concert.
• Each of the five finalists is required to perform a 20-minute live act.
• After retiring for deliberation, the jury will announce the winner. The winner will have the opportunity to play the opening act at the Festival‘s first concert on the following day. The IG Jazz association will not be liable to pay any fees in this process, neither for the concert itself nor for its recording by TV and radio stations. However, IG Jazz will reimburse travel expenses of up to €500 per band as well as
accommodation and food costs.
Prof. Joe Viera, Management
Artistic director of the International Jazz Festival Burghausen.
Director of the Center for Contemporaty Music, Burghausen.
Editor for jazz and classical music at Bayerischer Rundfunk broadcasting corporation, Munich.
Journalist and music critic (Süddeutsche Zeitung, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Jazz thing, Jazzzeitung and
others), and author.
Author for Jazz thing, freelance journalist.
The closing date for applications is November 1, 2011. Only applications which have been completed in full and have been received by the above-mentioned date will be considered.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
• Application form completed in full.
• Six identical CDs with pieces of your choice.
• Running time: approx. 15 min., 25 min. max.
• Please note: The CD cover has to be neutral, i.e. no labels or other markings such as address, band name, etc. are allowed.
• Brief written presentation of the band (biography, description of the music, etc.), two pages max.
• Photograph of the band
Please note: The line-up information submitted with the application documents is binding and must be identical with the line-up playing in the final elimination stage.
We will confirm receipt of your complete application via e-mail. Only ensembles with complete application documents will be admitted to the competition. It is not possible, for organizational reasons, to return the documents submitted.
Interessengemeinschaft Jazz Burghausen e.V.
ph.: +49 8677 916463-0
The application form can be requested from the above-mentioned jazz association.
It is also available as a download at www.b-jazz.com